It's begun.

Remember how I talked about the reading of a book that I said would require more of me?


It already has. And I've only read the introduction.

There's nothing particularly new. Yet. 

The topic is familiar. Wrenchingly, painfully, tearfully familiar. And all too common. And broadly overlooked.

The oppression of women, that's what I am talking about. That's what this book is all about.  And not in the way you're probably thinking.


The introduction has left me with questions. Some unanswerable. Some I hope to uncover and glean action points from the author's expertise. But for now....


I'll tantalize you with some snippets from the authors lips (it's written by a husband & wife duo).

"Women hold up half the sky." ~Chinese Proverb


"...a little Indian girl dies every four minutes..." 

because...

"...a son is an indispensable treasure while a wife is replaceable"...


"...more girls have been killed in the last 50 years, precisely because they were girls, than men were killed in all the wars of the 20th century..."

"Evidence has mounted that helping women can be a successful poverty fighting strategy."

Maybe you'll decide to join me reading and we can journey along together through this issue. Please? It's the perfect summer read...?

Comments

Rachel said…
I just reserved a copy from the library. It looks difficult, but I am going to try.
Kyrsten said…
Rachel! I would love it if you read along with me!!!

Popular Posts