Fair Trade for life.

This afternoon an email appeared in my inbox.

I read it.

Chills zoomed down my spine.

"The US Department of State estimates that more than 109,000 children in Cote d'Ivoire's cocoa industry work under "the worst forms of child labor," and that some 10,000 are victims of human trafficking or enslavement." 

Salty tears flooded my eyes.

children
Children by Lead Beyond

Children are bought from their parents for as little as $50, with the promise that they'll be given a better life and the chance to send money back home.  This never happens, as "...these children, usually 12-to-14-years-old but sometimes younger, are forced to do hard manual labor 80 to 100 hours a week. They are paid nothing, are barely fed, are beaten regularly, and are often viciously beaten if they try to escape. Most will never see their families again." (FoodRevolution.org)

Reality can be overwhelming and paralyzing...

...but Love calls for movement. Love has a cost.

It's why the fair trade cocoa butter in my body care products costs more.



It's why we eat brownies at my house a lot less often (fair trade cocoa powder costs more).

Brownie dash
Brownie Dash by Phil Hawksworth


It's because it cost a real flesh and blood person less. Less thievery of their life. Choosing to use only products that ensure the chocolate was procured fairly is me saying their life is more valuable than my bottom line. More valuable than my sweet tooth.

I am voting for life and against death. It just makes sense.

For Easter. For Mother's Day. For EVERY day.

Who wants to join me?

Comments

Popular Posts