As if this was a fair contest . . .

ONE just concluded a contest in which they received essays on the power and value of education. The winner would have their submission included in a book that they are putting together to publicize the needs for education in poverty-stricken areas.

I found out about the contest last Friday around 11 pm. The entries had to be in by midnight. I seized the moment and began planning out my Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.

With ferocity and passion I wrote about the need for teachers who would work patiently to inspire their students while giving them the tools necessary to engage their world constructively. I suspected that mine wouldn't be exotic enough. I mean, who cares about the perspective of a second year teacher in Bryan, TX. Sigh.

So, it was not with much shock that I discovered the winner earlier today: Christina Holder, a human rights lawyer working in Zambia. Better credentials much? Yeah . . .

I'm not bitter.

Read her story. What she speaks of in her experience of Zambia is too typical and too foreign to those of us here in the good ole US of A.

Comments

Popular Posts