Priorities in Darfur

Justice (called for by Desmond Tutu) or Peace (called for by Franklin Graham)?

Interesting pair of voices. I have to wonder how Graham got selected . . .

Though I can understand the perspective offered by Graham and fully recognize the pragmatism that has to largely define political processes, I believe that accountability in government is essential and that to permit a war criminal to retain his power because he is sometimes willing to listen to and cooperate with some outsiders will set a horrible precedent.

Thoughts?

Comments

phillip said…
Yeah.. I don't think propping up the status quo is at all a sustainable solution. But.. everything has unintended consequences.

I don't know what you do.
phillip said…
I've been reading a bunch about Burma lately, and each time start running (obviously ill-informed) scenarios through my head for how to promote regime change without making things worse for the people.

Same thing when I think in hindsight about Iraq, when both sanctions and war were enormously destructive.

I don't know how you do it.
arbuckle said…
That seems to be the general consensus among those willing to admit as much: "Um, there's a real problem here, but I don't know how to fix it."

I guess the hope is that the more people discuss these issues and study the cause and effect relationships in situations like Iraq, the better our chances are at bringing about a more effective solution.

Popular Posts