sad things are being made untrue

That line comes from a brief introduction to the Red Mountain Church album that came out some time this past year. The band musically translates, and often revives, old hymns allowing the great truths written in those songs to be heard today with fresh ears. We cannot recommend them highly enough. Here are the lyrics to a song from the above mentioned album that I'm listening to right now as I try to finish up grading.

We need to have truths penetrate us, wash over our minds, and renew us constantly. Give them a listen, buy their stuff on iTunes and while you're there, check out Matthew Smith as well.

This Breaks My Heart of Stone
Taken from the Gadsby Hymnal # 390
Words – Charles Wesley, 1749
Music – Benj Pocta, 2006.

Jesus let thy pitying eye
Call back a wandering sheep.
False to Thee like Peter, I
Would fain, like Peter, weep.
Let me be by grace restored;
On me be all it’s freeness shown
Turn and look upon me Lord;

And break my heart of stone
And break my heart of stone.

Savior, Prince, enthroned above,
Repentance to impart,
Give me, through Thy dying love,
The humble, contrite heart;
Give what I have long implored,
A portion of Thy love unknown;
Turn, and look upon me, Lord,

And break my heart of stone.
And break my heart of stone.

Look, as when Thy pitying eye
Was closed that we might live;
“Father,” at the point to die
My Savior cried, “forgive!”
Surely, with that dying word,
He turns, and looks, and cries, “’Tis done!”
O my bleeding, loving Lord,
This breaks my heart of stone!
This breaks my heart of stone!

© 2007 Red Mountain Music
www.redmountainmusic.com

Truly it is done. Truly our hearts of stone may be broken. Truly, truly, we are being renewed in Him by the power of his gracious love. Truly, truly, He will come for us one day soon.

Comments

Tammy said…
oh, if we could only really let these words sink in and realize how often we allow ourselves to have hearts of stone, not only towards Christ, but others as well....may we remember each day all that He forgave us and be willing to forgive others and die to self!~ thanks for the recommendation

Popular Posts