I want to be a part of making this thing right...

I recently finished devouring a book that has stirred my heart deeply. I often read current affairs type books and often desire to throw the book against the wall of my bedroom in anger, frustration and sadness at the horrors being committed around the world. To me, it has become clear that the list of worthy causes is undoubtedly lengthy. 

Unfortunately, it is all too easy to get caught up in our own life's busyness and carelessly move on after coming to some level of information regarding the atrocities in this world. It is easy to be overwhelmed by the magnitude and feel helpless to do anything of consequence. I confess that I am guilty of that very behavior. However, things are different this time. I am moved by the intentionally overlooked issue referred to as 'modern day slavery' that was terrifyingly revealed in "A Crime So Monstrous: Face to Face with Modern Day Slavery" by Benjamin Skinner.  I had read about this evil in the world before, in other books, but I have been affected differently. Now that I know, I feel responsible to act.  I want to get involved. I want to see things change. I want this wickedness to cease. 

Yesterday, I began madly searching online for information, resources, and means to get involved. I found a few good ones (thanks to a list of websites in the back of Skinner's book :)) and I am thankful that there are others concerned and spurred to action. You can give money (of course ;)), get an internship, spread the word, go to law school and get a job working with International Justice Mission (go Trey!!!! Let's do it!!! ), buy things fair trade, stay informed and pray accordingly. Just do something! Check out these links below:

www.ijm.org (this site is the only one that is openly Christian...the others appear secular)
www.freetheslaves.net
www.notforsalecampaign.org

IJM is holding a speaking event at Highland Park Presbyterian in Dallas on September 28th....the Arbies are going...anyone else interested??? You can sign up for email updates on all three sites. 

For those of you thinking, "this is just another foreign issue", read this article. We, as a nation, are guilty of slavery, still. 

Below is the ending verses to a Derek Webb song and its lyrics pretty much sum up the state of affairs. I am thankful that despite our failure to act justly, love mercy and walk with our God, that He will make things right.

I don't know the suffering of people outside my front door
I join the oppressors of those I choose to ignore
I'm trading comfort for human life
And that's not just murder it's suicide
And this, too, shall be made right

This is just a preview. I will probably post many entries on this issue. My heart and mind have been seared.

Comments

Rachel said…
Wow. That article you linked to really saddens me. Sometimes I get really overwhelmed with things like this. It's funny that you mentioned it, but something that really helped me learn to deal with it (and do something), is the book, "Good News About Injustice", written by the guy who was/is the head of the IJM. If you are interested, I can bring it to you next week at CBS.

I started typing more, but I'll just talk with you in real life.
Kyrsten said…
Bring the book! I have read "Terrify No More" which is another book written by one of the IJM staff about child sex slavery in Cambodia. It was riveting and heartbreaking.

Can't wait to talk more and see you!
Tammy said…
I'm guessing that Ethan & Meira may not be up for the intensity of the conference....do they need to come hang w/us?

Popular Posts